- Customer service skills working with students, faculty, administration units, clients, and external vendors
- Proficient in numerous software including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Design Suite Acrobat
- Experience in writing web content and evaluating merits of social media marketing using popular tools such as Facebook and Twitter
- Knowledge of various Content Managements Systems and database software, such as WordPress, SEVIS, Banner, and StudioAbroad
- Comfortable with Google related products such as Documents, Google Plus, and Analytics
- Skilled in Web Design and Development, having created websites from personal sites to higher education programs
University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) Study Abroad Center – Honolulu, HI
Assistant Study Abroad Advisor, 2/2008 – 8/2008 Graduate Assistant, 8/2008 – 7/2010
- Answered questions, solved conflicts, and informed undergraduate, graduate, and non-traditional students about education abroad program opportunities.
- Assisted in the setup and organization of Study Abroad Fair twice a year.
- Created online and printed advertisements for marketing, which resulted in improved campus presence.
- Operated as the department Information Technology Officer for Study Abroad Center staff. Overhauled office protocols to streamline office procedures and decrease paper use. Provided technical support on demand in regards to troubleshooting problems and developing new tutorials documents to teach staff members new programs.
- Edited pre-departure orientation packets by reformatting and digitizing them for better accessibility. This allowed students to access useful materials while abroad without having to take printed material with them.
- Designed and managed the UHM Study Abroad Center Website (http://www.studyabroad.org) which improved user experience and produced a site averaging over 4,500 hits per month.
- Employed the Content Management System WordPress when building the Study Abroad Center website to allow staff with varying levels of computer experience to update the site.
Shizukuishi Board of Education – Shizukuishi, Iwate, Japan
Assistant English Language Instructor, 8/2005 –7/2007
- Taught English at Shizukuishi Junior High School and ten local elementary schools providing regular support to Japanese English teachers and creating international experiences for students
- Coordinated evening English courses through the town hall to help learners of all ages improve their English from various levels ranging from beginner to advanced.
- Participated in international events organized by the Shizukuishi International Society. These events were aimed at improving relations between people of Iwate and foreign English teachers who lived and worked there by showcasing traditional local values and practices.
- Liaised Sister-City program between Shizukuishi and its sister-city or Randolph, VT in America. Acted as a guide and translator for both Japanese junior high students visiting America and American junior high students visiting Japan.
Tradewinds Global – Honolulu, HI
Web Developer & Designer, 4/2011 – 9-2011
- Create multilingual localized websites for companies to better connect with international consumers.
- Develop and customize the popular blogging platform to a solid Content Management System for small businesses.
- Follow trends and user patterns to determine optimal changes to small business web presence.
- Maintain office equipment including but not limited to computers, printers, phones, and scanners.
- Integrate Customer Relation Manager, Salesforce, to improve relationships with clients.
Ohio University International Student and Faculty Services – Athens, OH
Webmaster, 9/2004 –6/2005
- Managed the university’s International Student and Faculty Services website, providing information and documentation to assist the international community.
- Developed numerous mock-ups for potential website redesign, as the administration was planning to require all departments to integrate their websites with CommonSpot, a Content Management System.
- Served as layout editor for the weekly newsletter distributed to the international community, and refashioning important event advertisements to attract more attention.
- Created advertisement pamphlets and flyers for International Week Fair, which culminated in a street fair where student organizations shared with the rest of the campus many international flavors and activities.
- 2011 NAFSA: Hawai’i/Pacific District Spring Conference – Web standards for International Education
- 2012 NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo – The Web, Social Media, and International Education (Proposal Accepted)
- 2012 NAFSA: Hawai’i/Pacific District Spring Conference – Social Media & Crisis Management
University of Hawaii at Manoa – Honolulu, HI
M.A. Asian Studies, 2012 (Expected)
Focus Japanese Studies
Ohio University – Athens, OH
B.A. International Studies, 2005
Chubu University – Kasugai, Aichi, Japan
Study Abroad in Japan: Six-month program, 2003 – 2004
- Japanese (Functional Fluency)
Memberships & Affiliations
- NAFSA: Region XII Hawaii/Pacific district Team – Web Administrator, 2011-present (2012 term)
- University Web Developers, 2011-present
- HigherEdWeb, 2010-present
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators, 2008-present
- Graduate Student Organization; Representative, 2007-2008, 2009-2010
- Earlham College Teaching in Japan Program – Communication Coordinator, 2006-2007
Clubs & Volunteering
- BreakDrink: Student Affairs Professional Community Web Administrator, 2012
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Study Abroad Center 17th Annual Study Abroad Fair, 2011
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Study Abroad Center Spring Fair, 2012
- Morioka Weekend Eikaiwa – Created a casual atmosphere where non-native English speakers could feel at ease to discuss multiple issues, 2005-2007
- Ohio University Program of Intensive English with the Chubu University Study Abroad program – aided with program activities and helped new Japanese exchange students to adjust to college life, 2004-2005